Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mentaiko Pasta


It's been a long time since I've had the chance to cook anything proper and since it's a new year I've decided to start something (plus I need something else to keep myself motivated) - I've been documenting tried and tested recipes through the years whether it's passed down by mom or just pure experimentation.

So here's the first one for the year - Mentaiko pasta! I've never failed to order this dish in any restaurant that carried it, one of the earliest ones being Pasta Cafe @ Takashimaya ran by Pokka which has since been refurbished and I think now under a new management. Sadly, while this is still on their menu the standard has taken a nose dive. New kid Pasta de Waraku has it as one of their staple items but I found it a tad too creamy. I've been trying to get by using the instant version sold in most Japanese aisles and that worked too, if I'm feeling like I'm on a budget :D

During our recent trip to Fukuoka we brought home some beautiful mildly spicy Mentaiko from Kyushu and since it can only keep in the fridge for 2 weeks we wasted no time in putting some of that into good use !



Serves 2
Ingredients:
75g Angel Hair Pasta
2 Eggs, Poached
2 Mentaiko sacs
2 slices Bacon, chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
3 Tbsp white wine
3 Tbsp Chicken stock (I was lazy and diluted some concentrated stock to get this)
2 Tbsp Thickened cream
1 Tbsp Japanese Mayo
1 Tbsp Butter
Nori (Seaweed) Strips


Directions:
1. Cut open Mentaiko sacs and scrape out roe gently using a spoon into a large mixing bowl, add mayo and set aside
2. Brown bacon in a pan (no oil needed, it's fatty enough on its own!). Once Bacon is crispy and golden brown, add in butter, a drizzle of olive oil and stir fry onions together on medium heat till cooked through
3. Add white wine and let it reduce, add in chicken stock and simmer for 5 mins and remove from heat.
4. Stir in thickened cream and transfer entire sauce mixture into mixing bowl. Mix well with mentaiko/mayo.
5. Cook pasta till al dente, drain water and toss pasta in sauce. Serve with poached egg and sprinkle black pepper & nori. Eat up!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment