Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review: Galbiati Gourmet Deli @ The Rail Mall

I've been wanting to post this for sometime now but never found the time. This is a real gem nestled amongst the row of shops at The Rail Mall. If you're looking for a nice quiet place to chill out on a weekend, this is perfect for brunch/lunch!

Galbiati's menu looks compact at first, but they do have a strong variety of antipasti, pastas, pizzas and mains! And always check the board for specials because they usually have great seasonal stuff. This time Kays and I ordered their oysters which were extremely fresh and FAT!

For pasta I'd highly recommend their squid ink pasta. If you're comfortable enough with your date/ companion to have black teeth or goth lips, then go all out with the squid ink pasta + squid ink sauce! It is very delicious, really, but Kays and I were going out after lunch so we went for the Al Granchio (crabmeat, basil, in tomato and cream sauce) instead. The thing I love about their homemade squid ink pasta (think black fettucine) is that it seems to have more bite and smoother than regular pastas, and on top of that it has a hint of "squidish" flavour.

As for Pizza, I'd recommend the Parma Ham with Arugula! Pictured here is the salami pizza which was a nice simple cheesy treat, with crispy thin crust.

This place reminds me very much of Da Paolo back in the early days, before they expanded rapidly and I feel it's kinda lost that authentic Italian homemade touch... (coincidentally as I'm writing this and did some research, I realised that Chef Roberto Galbiati was formerly the Executive Chef in Da Paolo!)

They have recently opened a second outlet along Upper Bukit Timah for takeaways and delivery, so check their website for more details!

Salami Pizza

Lovely squid ink pasta with al Granchio sauce

Oysters that were oh-so-fresh and succulent!

7.5 out of 10

Galbiati Gourmet Deli
400 Upper Bukit Timah Road,
The Rail Mall 678050
Tel: +65 6462 0926
Mon-Fri 11am-10pm
Sat/Sun/P.Hol 10am-10pm
Closed on Tuesdays except Public Holidays

1 comments:

jfook said...

Owhh..I love oyster..

Post a Comment