Monday, March 29, 2010

Review: Yoshimaru Ramen @ Holland Village

Had a late lunch with S yesterday before picking up baking supplies from Phoon Huat @ Holland Village. I'd been to Yoshimaru Ramen once with Kays & Mous when it first opened in early 2009 and have not been back since. Guess it's just not something top-of-mind whenever I go to HV.

This time 'round I ordered the shabu shabu beef tonkotsu ramen ($14). Yoshimaru serves all its ramen with seasame seeds in a mortar & pestle for customers to grind and sprinkle their own sesame powder, which adds an element of novelty I suppose. I also liked the fact that they served fried garlic bits that further enhances the ramen's aroma. The shabu shabu beef was tasty enough (+), but just didn't feel like it "connected" with the soup base (-). I would try the pork version next time, or just stick to the normal tonkotsu ramen, which also has a mini version. Alternatively you can pick your own toppings to add to the basic tonkotsu char siu ramen from $9 onwards. The thin Hakata-styled noodles was cooked just right (+), and the egg was perfectly semi-runny (+). My only gripe was that the soup was WAY too diluted, so much so that I left the beef to soak longer hoping to infuse the soup with more flavour (-)!

Shabu Shabu Beef Tonkotsu Ramen

I would come back again, to try out other items on their menu. I'm especially curious of their mini-burgers (odd, huh).. Oh and they have a fantastic promotion - 20% off their ala carte items during 2pm to 6pm daily (so late lunch worked for me)! 

Not on Ah Mak's Must Try List... until the soup is improved!

7 out of 10 
Yoshimaru Ramen Bar
31 Lorong Liput
Holland Village
Tel: 6463 3132

0 comments:

Post a Comment