Sunday, April 4, 2010

Superhero Cupcakes for Little Jevan's Birthday Party

I have not been very good at posting recipes lately, because of work and also this latest project which pretty much kept me busy all weekend. After the cupcake decoration party @ Hazen's a couple of weeks ago, Pin has requested for 48 superhero-themed cupcakes for Little Jevan's birthday party in school. Baking the cupcakes itself was not a problem since I've done it several times, but what's rather daunting was the cupcake toppers, given that I've not really had much experience modelling with rolled fondant and I had very limited tools to help me. Nonetheless, I told the packets of white fondant sitting in my fridge: "Bring it ON!!"

So I went on a rampage on the net, researching everything I possibly could from tinting, moulding and storing fondant, to which types of icing and tools to use for which purpose. I also got myself some basic tools that really made everything lots more efficient and much easier to do! I had the most fun coming up with the design for spiderman & iron man, while the superman logo was the most challenging one as I had to hand paint every one and they had to look the same without the icing colour mixing with the yellow base!

To challenge myself further I also attempted to produce a DIY 3-tiered cupcake stand, which I must say, whilst it's not perfect (I ran out of ribbon, silly me miscalculated...so I had to improvise), did the job pretty well!

Sorry I only managed to take photos of the finished product, and not the process because I was too busy trying to figure out what to do! I will be sharing my research findings shortly in another post, so that beginners (like myself) who wish to give rolled fondant a shot needn't feel too intimidated!

Chocolate cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

...complete with a DIY cupcake stand!

close up of superman, spiderman, iron man cupcakes

into the boxes and all ready to go!

2 comments:

jfook said...

Cute cupcakes...:)

Ah Mak said...

:) Thanks!! Lots of work but very happy with the results!

Post a Comment